Jul 29th 1958- NASA was created.
"On this day in 1958, the U.S. Congress passes legislation establishing the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), a civilian agency responsible for coordinating America’s activities in space. NASA has since sponsored space expeditions, both human and mechanical, that have yielded vital information about the solar system and universe. It has also launched numerous earth-orbiting satellites that have been instrumental in everything from weather forecasting to navigation to global communications.
NASA was created in response to the Soviet Union’s October 4, 1957 launch of its first satellite, Sputnik I. The 183-pound, basketball-sized satellite orbited the earth in 98 minutes. The Sputnik launch caught Americans by surprise and sparked fears that the Soviets might also be capable of sending missiles with nuclear weapons from Europe to America. The United States prided itself on being at the forefront of technology, and, embarrassed, immediately began developing a response, signaling the start of the U.S.-Soviet space race.”
This week in history:
- July 28th 1586 - Sir Thomas Harriot introduces potatoes to Europe on return to England.
- July 29th 1921 - Adolf Hitler becomes leader of the National Socialist German Workers Party.
- July 30th 1619 - House of Burgesses Virginia forms, 1st elective American governing body.
- July 31st 1914 - German Emperor Wilhelm II threatens war, orders Russia to demobilize.
- August 1 1794 - Whiskey Rebellion begins.
You can see this oil painting at the University of Arizona, Museum of Art.